What’s The Job Of An Entertainment Lawyer Greenville, SC
An entertainment lawyer represents people in the entertainment industry. These include musicians, authors, producers, actors and much more. These attorneys come in handy in the event of lawsuits and also provide the much-needed advice regarding contracts.
When Do You Need To Hire An Entertainment Lawyer?
If you are a part of the entertainment industry, you can hire an entertainment lawyer under the following circumstances.
• If you are entering into a contract with someone or negotiating the terms of a contract.
• If someone else has violated a contract.
• If someone has stolen your intellectual property.
• If you are trying to figure out the distribution and publication rights applicable to you.
• If you are sued for any of the things mentioned above.
If you’re unsure of your rights and obligations, the best entertainment lawyer should be able to advise you on the way forward.
What Are The Various Categories Available For Entertainment Lawyers?
Entertainment lawyers can be categorized into negotiators and litigators. Here’s what you need to know about each of these categories.
Entertainment Lawyer in Greenville, SC
Here, entertainment lawyers rarely go to court. Most of their time is spent in the office, meeting with labels, on the phone, meeting with labels and also meeting with other attorneys. The entertainment lawyer has a transactional type of job. Their main focus is drafting and negotiating contracts such as record deals, management contracts, deals with booking agents, publishing arrangements and much more.
In most cases, the entertainment lawyer plays the role of an artist manager. They will focus on the legal terms and consequences of any deal. A good negotiator has relationships with publicists, label heads, managers and other notable industry figures. Therefore, if you hire such an entertainment lawyer, they can navigate any legal issues on your behalf.
Here, the entertainment lawyer focuses on the law. Their services come in handy when a dispute arises during the progress of your career. A litigator should be able to identify the potential legal issues during a conflict and will attempt to resolve them through the court system, arbitration, conflict resolution or mediation. These entertainment lawyers know everything regarding contract law and property law. Also, they know how to file suits, drafting motions and argue these motions before the court.
How Much Does An Entertainment Lawyer Cost?
If you are involved in any of the issues mentioned above, you need to consider the fees before hiring an entertainment lawyer. Legal services can be expensive. Some attorneys need up front hourly billing of $300 to $700 per hour. You should receive a bill at the end of every month.
Also, some entertainment lawyers use a fixed-fee billing method. Here, you will pay a set amount of money for services. You can pay $5000 to $25000 for any major negotiation of an entertainment deal.
Also, the attorney might ask for a retainer. Here, you will pay an advance payment for the legal services. The total amount should be included in the agreement. You will discuss the agreement with your attorney and establish the payment. If you sign the agreement make sure there is a provision which gives you the right to drop your attorney at any time.
If you are looking to hire an entertainment lawyer, don’t be embarrassed when asking about the billing. You need to know whether or not you can afford the lawyer’s services. Ask how the charges are calculated and the total estimated cost for the job. Find out the payment methods available such as credit cards, debit cards or payment installments over a few months.
Here are a few things to note when determining the cost of hiring an entertainment lawyer.
• You need to know how you will be billed. For instance, if it’s on hourly basis, you need to know the increments applicable.
• Always be on the lookout for the hidden expenses above the legal fees. For instance, you might be charge for other services such as faxes, photocopies, travel expenses and court fees. Take note if your attorney wants to bill for administrative services or word processing.
• If possible, stay away from hourly rates. That’s because it’s hard to know how long a particular task will take. Always settle on fixed fees for entire job so you can have an idea of what to expect.
• Always review the lawyer’s billings carefully. Make sure they are prompt and clear. Stay away from summary billings. Every item should be explained with the rate and the total hours worked. Always ask for explanations if there are things you don’t understand in the bill and make sure the attorney doesn’t bill you for this.
How To Find The Best Entertainment Lawyer Greenville SC
Now that you know the job of an entertainment lawyer, you need to know how to find the best one. Here are a few things to consider.
• Expertise – Hire an entertainment lawyer with the expertise you need. For instance, if you are an actress looking for a lawyer to negotiate a contract, make sure the attorney has background doing this.
• Experience – Also, make sure the attorney you hire, has experience in the same type of service you need. For instance, if you are a musician looking to negotiate with a record label, the attorney should have experience handling such issues.
• Conflict Of Interest – Check to confirm that the attorney doesn’t represent anyone in the opposite side of the contract process. Also, make sure they don’t have a relationship with people on the opposite side too.
• References – Any entertainment lawyer Greenville, SC that you are looking to hire should be able to provide you with a list of previous clients who can vouch for him/her. Contact these clients to find out more about the attorney.
In conclusion, if you are an artist, a musician, an author or anyone in the entertainment industry, take advantage of an experienced entertainment lawyer in Greenville, SC by contacting the Law Office of James Stone Craven, LLC.